Study in Germany – GUS GISMA
For potential to be realised, it must first be recognised. Allan Gray Orbis Foundation is inviting you to introduce us to the bright sparks – kids who are set to be future shapers.
Application Deadline: 20th September 2018.
Click here to Get Personalised Scholarship/Opportunity Alert on your Mobile Phone FREE!
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To Be Taken At (Country): South Africa
About the Award: The Foundation offers high school Scholarships to learners who are in financial need, have a curious, entrepreneurial mindset and the potential to excel academically.
Scholarship recipients, known as Allan Gray Orbis Scholars, receive funding for high school in addition to access to support and programmes to develop their entrepreneurial talents. We aim to develop a community of young, entrepreneurially minded leaders so that our Scholars have the opportunity to go to university through the Fellowship Programme.
The Scholarship Programme focuses on the cultivation of an entrepreneurial mindset, personal mastery and academic excellence. We believe an entrepreneurial mindset will enable our Scholars to attain academic success and effective personal leadership.
This Scholarship is available to Grade 12 learners who need a post-Matric to gain access to a South African University. Please apply through the Fellowship page.
Type: Secondary school
For South Africa:
- Applicant has to be a South African citizen
- Applicant must be in Grade 6 this year (2018) to apply
- A minimum of 70% in English and mathematics (Grade 5-6)
- A minimum of 70% in Numeracy and Literacy in the Foundation’s Scholarship exam. (After the application process, we select eligible candidates and invite them to write the Scholarship exam. We then use the exam results with the primary school results to shortlist for interviews.)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate the following entrepreneurial characteristics:
- Intellectual Imagination: enjoys being creative and innovative
- Achievement Excellence: sets high standards for self
- Courageous Commitment: must be courageous and determined, brave and persistent
- Spirit of Significance: wants to impact others and make a difference
- Personal Initiative: prepared to take action to address challenges
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Scholarship programme provides access to quality high school education. We aim to establish passion in the selected Scholars and develop their potential to become self-starting, high-impact entrepreneurs.
The Scholarship covers the following:
- Full tuition and boarding fees
- A monthly allowance (pocket money)
- A travel subsidy
- Stationery and prescribed books
- Toiletries, school uniforms and casual clothing
- Support for extra-mural activities
Scholars also have access to an entrepreneurial development programme. This ensures their continued progress by providing additional leadership and entrepreneurial development opportunities.
We understand that the transition to a new school can be challenging. The Foundation provides additional support to Scholars to ensure a smooth and successful transition into their new environments.
How to Apply:
- Complete and submit your application forms and all supporting documentation by 20 September 2018.
- All applicants will receive an SMS to acknowledge receipt of their application within a month after the closing date.
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on academic performance and financial need.
- Successful candidates will be called within two months after the closing date and invited to write an exam. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified via sms.
- Succesful candidates will be invited for interviews. One-on-one interviews take place between January and March 2019
- Thereafter, successful candidates will be invited to for psychometric testing
- If successful at the psychometric phase, the Foundation will recommend the candidates to the placement schools.
- Recommended candidates will be invited to the placement schools for interviews.
- Candidates whose recommendations are approved by the placement schools will be awarded the Scholarship.
- Once the Scholarship is awarded, the Foundation, placement school and the Scholar’s custodian sign a Memorandum of Agreement.
- All successful candidates will know which school they will be attending the following year by August 2019.
- From interview stage to camp and final selection, all communication takes place via telephone. The selection process takes about eleven months in total.
Visit Programme Webpage for Details
Award Providers: Allan Gray Orbis Foundation