Program(s) Offered: Essay writing
Program Level: Undergraduate contest
Provider: Nigeria Higher Education Foundation
Country to Write in: Nigeria
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) is pleased to announce the 4th edition of its Annual Scholarship Essay Competition, which is aimed at harnessing young minds on issues of vital importance to development.
Every year, since 2015, the Nigeria Higher Education Foundation runs a Scholarship Essay Competition for students to win free tuition, and also cash prizes of ₦100,000, ₦75,000 and ₦50,000. We are challenging students to think critically and strategically about change and how they can effect change in Nigeria.
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation held its inaugural essay competition in February 2015. The entries for the NHEF Annual Scholarship Essay Competition offer a diverse range of views from students at NHEF partner universities.
All students enrolled in their penultimate year at any NHEF Partner University are qualified to participate in the essay contest. NHEF partner universities are listed below.
Students enrolled in their penultimate year are third year undergraduates of a 4-year degree program or fourth year undergraduates of a 5-year degree program. NHEF will verify enrollment of each contestant with the university registrar.
ESSAY CRITERIA & SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
All essays must comply with the following contest rules before submission:
- Respond to one essay prompt;
- Only one essay may be submitted per student;
- No literary form other than an essay will be accepted;
- The essay must reflect the contestant’s ability to explore and discuss ideas and ethical concepts;
- The essay must demonstrate the conduct of research and a sufficiently detailed summary;
- The essay must be 2000 words maximum, double-spaced, (12pt Times New Roman), and numbered pages with one-inch margins excluding bibliography & title page;
- Submitted essay must include a Title Page, a Bibliography and a scanned copy of the contestant’s current student ID;
- The student’s name, university, and registration ID# must appear in the header section of each page;
- References in the essay should be included and clearly identified;
- Entries must be submitted in PDF format;
- All entries must be submitted by the announced deadline.
Students are encouraged to study rules on how to avoid plagiarism, as the essays will be checked for intellectual authenticity. **This link contains a helpful guide.
Citizens of Nigeria
Currently, NHEF Partner Universities include:
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria,
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Ibadan,
- University of Lagos
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka and
- University of Port Harcourt.
The 2018 Essay Topics are themed around Technology, Youth Engagement, Gender, and Socio-Economic Growth.
1) According to the National Population Commission, Nigeria’s population is currently estimated at 182 million, with more than half of the population under 30 years of age. Assess the importance of youth engagement in Nigeria’s socio-economic growth.
2) “The higher education curriculum, in particular, always serves as a means of social control, legitimating [sic] existing social relations, representing somebody’s version of what constitutes important knowledge.” What are the benefits, if any, of instituting a gender-inclusive higher education curriculum in Nigeria?
3) Using a case study or example(s), explore how technology can drive social change in Nigeria.
The Grand prize winner of the 2018 Essay Competition will be awarded a cash prize of ₦100,000 with a year of paid tuition. The First runner-up will be awarded a cash prize of ₦75,000 with a year of paid tuition. The Second runner-up will be awarded ₦50,000 with a year of paid tuition.
Method of Application
All applicants must be eligible to participate and all essays must comply with stipulated contest rules before submission (please see the eligibility criteria above). All essay entries must be submitted via e-mail to essay[at]thenhef.org on or before the deadline date below .
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this contest
All entries must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. (WAT) on May 31, 2018
Enrolment will be verified with the University’s registrar.
The Nigeria Higher Education Foundation, NHEF, was established in 2004 with seed funding from the MacArthur Foundation, and its work consists of: Supporting higher education in Nigeria; AND Supporting universities in Nigeria.
Application Deadline: 31 May 2018
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Nigerians)