The LOEWE Centre DRUID (Novel Drug Targets against Poverty-Related and Neglected Tropical Infectious Diseases) in partnership with the African Research Network for Neglected Tropical Diseases (ARNTD) is inviting applications for scholarships for postdoctoral short-term research visits to the LOEWE Centre DRUID, Germany.
The objectives of the DRUID-ARNTD collaboration are to increase African involvement and visibility in cutting-edge NTD drug-discovery research, including through direct engagement with DRUID.
In the LOEWE Center DRUID, the leading medical universities of Hessen along with the Paul Ehrlich Institute in Langen and the University of Applied Sciences of Central Hessen are addressing urgent questions on identifying and characterizing potential target molecules in order to develop drugs, vaccines, and diagnostic tools against poverty-associated and neglected infectious diseases.
READ ALSO:Lagos Business School: Ranking, fees, Scholarships & Admission Requirements.
Objectives of the DRUID-ARNTD collaboration
- To increase African involvement and visibility in cutting-edge NTD drug-discovery
research, including through direct engagement with DRUID
- To improve German-African communication and collaboration among researchers.
What you Need To Know About Germany Postdoctoral Short-Term Research Visits
More than 30 scientists in 25 interdisciplinary research projects have come together in order synergize the capacities and expertise of Hessen in this field.
LEVEL / FIELD OF STUDY
- Scholarships for postdoctoral short-term research visits to the LOEWE Centre DRUID, Germany.
The seven research areas of the hosting institutions of the DRUID consortium are:
|Research area||Knowledge and skills required||Institution||Group|
|Human T-cell responses against Leishmania parasites||Cell culture; FACS based analyses of blood cells||Paul Ehrlich Institute, Langen||Zandbergen|
|Schistosomiasis, sexual maturation as drug target||Cell/worm culture; molecular biology||Giessen University||Grevelding|
|In silico identification of inhibitors of NTD targets (pharmaceutical chemistry, drug discovery, docking)||Excellent PC knowledge (Linux); chemistry; tools for chemoinformatics||Marburg University||Kolb|
|Medicinal chemistry (synthesis, drug design)||Synthetic organic chemistry||Marburg University||Diederich|
|Redox-active enzymes as drug targets against malaria||Molecular/ structural biology, protein biochemistry||Giessen University||Becker|
|Complement-inhibitory proteins of Borrelia causing relapsing fever in Africa||Molecular biology; protein biochemistry||Frankfurt University||Kraiczy|
|Pathogenesis of Rift Valley Fever||Molecular biology; cell biology; virology||Giessen University||Weber|
The scholarship is to be taken in Germany in the above mentioned institutions
Scholarships are available for African scientists interested in the fields mentioned above .
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The DRUID Centre will support successful applicants financially in the form of short-term fellowships covering the proposed work, travel costs, insurance, and the recipients’ cost of living for the duration of the fellowship in Hessen, Germany.
Germany Postdoctoral Short-Term Research Visits Eligibility:
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must hold a doctoral degree (e.g. PhD, DrPH, DSc) and must provide evidence of a strong theoretical and methodological background;
- Must be currently engaged as a post-doc or equivalent by an academic, health, or research institution in Africa for the duration of the grant;
- Must demonstrate having a commitment to NTD-related research as well as the skills and experience required to carry out the proposed work at the German host institution.
- Must have excellent oral and writing skills in English.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have excellent oral and writing skills in English.
How To Apply For The Germany Postdoctoral Short-Term Research Visits:
To apply, click here. Please feel free to also visit the DRUID or ARNTD websites detailed below.
Interested applicants will be expected to submit a 1-2-page motivation letter, detailed CV, list of publications, summary of methodological expertise, and present research/description of research environment.
The LOEWE Centre DRUID and ARNTD actively support women in scientific research and strongly encourage women to apply for the fellowships.
Applications must be related to the research focus of one or two out of the seven research areas of the hosting institutions of the DRUID consortium (see list above).
Germany Postdoctoral Short-Term Research Visits deadline :
August 1, 2018
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- Canada Student Visa Rules for Developing Countries
- Japan Foundation United Nations University PhD Scholarships 2018/2019
- FATE Foundation Aspiring Entrepreneurs Digital Programme 2018
- Study in Belgium:Student Visa Requirements and How to Apply
- Africa Open Science and Hardware Summit in Ghana 2018
- Japanese Government Scholarships for International Students, 2018