Home/Scholarships/Call For Application- Gates Cambridge Scholarship For International Students 2019
Call For Application- Gates Cambridge Scholarship For International Students 2019
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program was established in October 2000 through a $210 million donation from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to Cambridge University. This is the largest donation ever made to a British university. Scholarships are awarded to distinguished applicants from countries outside the United Kingdom for a full university degree in any material available at the University of Cambridge.
The selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying.
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (three year research-only degree)
- MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- Undergraduate degree
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate*
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£14,900 for 12 months at the 2017-18 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
- Academic development funding – from £500 to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2016-17 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Some fourth year funding for PhD Scholars may be provided.
Deadline for submission: 4 December 2018
How to apply
Applicants must submit an application for scholarship, a College place and funding – including a Gates Cambridge Scholarship – via the Applicant Online Portal.