The George Washington University Global Leaders Fellowship is for incoming graduate students (master’s and doctoral) who have applied to the George Washington University for Fall 2019 admission. (Current GW graduate students are not eligible for this fellowship). The fellowship is intended for GW graduate students who will be future leaders in their fields in their home countries, returning to their countries of origin to apply skills learned through their formal education at GW.
Students holding or intending to apply for an F-1 visa (J-1 visa is eligible for Fulbright applicants only. Note that other visa types are not eligible.) and who are from the following countries or regions (chosen based on protocol arrangements and areas of the world underrepresented at GW) are preferred to apply.
- China (PRC)
- Eastern Europe
- Latin America
- The Caribbean
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- U.S.S.R. Successor States
- Three Global Leaders Fellowships, which will cover up to 18 credit hours will be awarded for 2019-20 (fees excluded).
- The grantee is to provide funds from other sources for books, living, and other expenses, and must provide certification of this support.
- A Fellowship is renewable each year for a cumulative maximum of three years for Master’s candidates and up to five years for doctoral candidates.
- This award is stackable.* A grantee must submit renewal materials for the Fellowship each year; renewal is contingent upon the grantee’s grades (GPA of 3.0 or better)
- . The Fellowship is valid for one degree only
- . Fellowships apply to the fall and spring semesters. Awards for the summer sessions are by petition only and subject to available funding.
Fellowships are awarded to highly qualified incoming GW full-time graduate degree program seeking students who have gained admission to the University and whose program is on the main Foggy Bottom Campus. Students need to apply for admission separately through the online process. No Fellowship applicants will be considered who have not completed the admissions application, including payment of their application fee. Fellows may hold a F-1 visa (other visas are not eligible. J-1 visas are eligible for Fulbright applicants only). As part of the admissions process, applicants must have passed the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 600 on the paper-based exam or 100 on the internet based exam, or an IELTS overall band score of 7.5 (with no individual band below 6.0).
Applicants must apply via the online submissions portal by the deadline. Instructions on how to apply through the portal can be found here.
Awards will not be announced until April 2019.
Application Deadline: February 9th 2019 12 PM Noon (EST)
Visit the Official Webpage of the George Washington University Global Leaders Fellowship 2019